We recommend performing a full upgrade of all client and server applications, and other components for all major and maintenance Helix ALM releases. Upgrades update executables and drivers, but do not affect existing data files. If you need upgrade help, contact Perforce Support.
Tip: You may want to install the new Helix ALM version in a test environment before upgrading your production environment to evaluate new features, estimate downtime required to upgrade, and make sure no issues occur during the upgrade. See Installing Upgrades in a Test Environment.
Preparing for the upgrade
1. Review the release notes for information about new features, enhancements, bug fixes, and important upgrade information.
2. Check the system requirements to make sure computers you are installing Helix ALM components on have the required space, memory, and other resources to run efficiently.
3. If you are upgrading from TestTrack 2011.1 or earlier, review additional steps required to prepare databases for upgrading.
4. Download the installer for the current Helix ALM version.
Performing the upgrade
The time it takes to upgrade depends on the components you are installing and your data.
Note: If you are upgrading both Helix ALM and Surround SCM, upgrade the product with the most recent release date last to guarantee you install the latest version of the Helix ALM License Server.
1. Stop the Helix ALM License Server and Helix ALM Server.
3. Run the Helix ALM installer. You may be prompted to overwrite existing files, such as SOAP or HTML files. Always overwrite these files to ensure that Helix ALM works correctly after the upgrade.
5. Upgrade projects if needed. Helix ALM can automatically upgrade projects when the server starts or you can manually upgrade them. See Upgrading projects.
If users cannot log in after upgrading, make sure a license is assigned to the user and that maintenance for the license is not expired. See Users Cannot Log In After Upgrading.