Defining required fields and default values
You can set any input field, including custom fields, as a required field. When a field is required, users must enter information in the field before they can save any changes. You can also define default values for fields. Required fields and default field values are project-specific.
Required fields must be populated for all instances of actions. For example, the Found by field is required and does not have a default value. When multiple reported by records are created for a single issue, the Found by field must be populated for all records.
Note: You can use field-level security can be used to restrict access to required fields. If a required field is hidden for a security group, users may not be able to add items to the project. As a workaround, give access to a required field when users add items and hide the field when users edit items. You can also allow users to save items without setting values in required fields they do not have permission to edit. See Setting required field project options.
1. Choose Tools > Administration > Required Fields & Default Values.
The Required Fields & Default Values dialog box opens.
2. Select an item Type. The fields displayed depend on the selected type.
If you are configuring requirement fields, select a requirement type to configure fields for the type.
Note: By default, required fields and default values are the same for all requirement types. You can override the default setting and configure different fields for each requirement type. An asterisk indicates the requirement types that do not use the default settings. Clear Use values from <All Requirement Types> to change the settings for the selected type.
3. Select the field group from the list.
4. To set a required field, select the corresponding check box.
- A field that is set using check boxes and/or radio buttons cannot be a required field.
- The check box is selected if a field is always required.
- The check box is not selected and is inactive if a field cannot be required.
5. Enter or select a default value for the field.
- Multi-line text fields—Click to enter default values. You can include formatted text, images, tables, and hyperlinks in most values. See Working with text fields.
- Date/time fields—Click to select default values.
- Workflow event assignment fields—Select <current user> to set the default value to the logged in user. Select <currently assigned users> to set the default value to the list of users the item is currently assigned to when adding an event. This makes it easier to add or remove users in the list of assignees without having to select all of the assigned users again to reassign an item. If multiple items are selected to assign, the event can only be added if all items are assigned to the same users. If multi-user assignment rules are configured for an event, you cannot add or remove users from the list of currently assigned users for that event.
- Hyperlink fields—Click Go to test link values. The web page opens in a browser window.
6. Repeat steps 2 - 5 to set required fields and default values for other groups.
7. Click OK to save the changes.