Running a test generally involves the following steps.
1. Open the test run and review information about setting up the test
Test variant values identify the environment to use for the test. Additional setup instructions may be included in the details and files or scripts required to perform the test may be attached. See Viewing test runs.
2. Review the test run steps on the Steps tab
Steps are displayed in one of the following views:
- Grid view displays steps and expected results in rows and columns.
- Detail grid view displays the entire test run and guides you step-by-step through the test run. You can enter results (Pass, Fail, Undetermined) for each step in this view.
- Text view displays steps as text. Markup codes indicate the type of text on each line.
3. Perform the steps in the test run
If the actual and expected results do not match, you can add problem statements and attachments to document the issues. See Entering test results in grid view, Entering test results in detail grid view, or Entering test results in text view.
4. Enter the overall test result when you complete the test
Tip: Helix ALM includes two default report stylesheets useful for manual testing. The TestRunStepsDetailReport.xslt stylesheet generates a report with test run steps and fields for handwritten information, including lines for results, problem statements, and signature. The TestRunReport.xslt stylesheet generates a report with test case detail and fields for handwritten information, including lines for results, problem statements, and signature. See Running built-in reports.