Add a test case to define the set of conditions, actions, expected results, and other criteria used to determine if a product component works correctly and meets its specified requirements. Each test case should focus on one component. Your testing may require more than one test case per component.
1. Choose Create > Test Case. You can also click Add on the Test Cases list window.
The Add Test Case
2. Enter a Summary to briefly describe the test. You can enter up to 255 characters.
3. Enter the
- Type specifies the test case type, such as Functional or Regression.
- Automated test indicates the test will be performed using an automated script.
See Managing automated tests.
Tip: You can use test variant field codes in test case fields and steps. When you generate test runs, field codes are replaced with the variant values. For example, if you have an Operating System variant with a %Z_OSVARIANT% field code and the Windows value is used to generate test runs, the field code is replaced with Windows in the test run. To add a variant field code,
6. Click the Variants tab to select the test variants to include or exclude when test runs are generated for the test case.
Test variants are attributes of the tested application used to generate test runs. A test run is created for each unique combination of variant values selected when generating test runs. See Managing test variants.
7. Click the Files tab to attach automated scripts and other files testers may need to perform the test. See Attaching files.
8. Click the Folders tab to add the test case to a folder. See Adding items to folders.
9. Click Add to save the test case and add it to the project.
You can also click Apply to save the test case and continue working on it. Click OK when you finish.
Tip: Depending on user options, the Add Test Case dialog box may remain open after the test case is added. Click Cancel to close it. You can change the Add Multiple Test Cases user option to automatically close the dialog box after adding a new test case. See Setting add multiple items options.