Item mapping rules specify how to create items from other items. The rules contain field mappings to indicate the values to copy from the source item to the new item, how to link the items, and if the new items are added to the same folders as the source items.
Helix ALM includes default item mapping rules for the following actions. See Default item mapping rules.
- Creating test cases from issues
- Creating requirements from issues
- Creating issues from test runs
- Creating issues from requirements
- Generating test runs from test cases
- Generating test cases from requirements
- Inserting shared steps in test cases
You can also create rules for creating requirements from other requirement types.
Note: The item mapping rules you can configure depend on the item types you can access based on the license you logged in with.
1. Choose Tools > Administration > Item Mapping Rules.
The Item Mapping Rules dialog box opens.
Note: Rules based on inactive requirement types are displayed in gray. Users cannot create new requirements using inactive types.
2. Click Add to add a new rule for creating new requirements from existing requirements. See Adding item mapping rules.
You can only add new rules for creating requirements from requirements. Rules already exist for other item types. Edit the existing rules to change the field mappings and other information. See Editing item mapping rules.
3. Select a rule and click Edit to change it. See Editing item mapping rules.
4. Select a rule and click Duplicate to create a new rule based on an existing rule. See Duplicating item mapping rules.
You can only duplicate rules for creating requirements from requirements. You cannot duplicate rules for other item types.
5. Select a rule and click Delete to delete it.
You can only delete rules for creating requirements from requirements. You cannot delete rules for other item types.
6. Click Export to export all rules to an XML file. See Exporting item mapping rules.
7. Click Import to import rules from an XML file. See Importing item mapping rules.
8. Click OK to save the changes.